BLE Nano 1.5, lost UART service


#1

After running a BLE Nano V1.5 for some weeks, continuously, it stopped responding.
On checking I found that while the BLE advertising was still working the programmed UART service was missing.
At the moment I am putting this down to a bad chip and replacing the Nano V1.5 with a Nano V2.


#2

Hi @drmpf,

So what’s going on? What kind of help would you like?

Best regards,
Guohui


#3

Really don’t know what is going on. Just mentioned it here, in case some else had a similar case.
Will report back here is I find out anything.


#4

Here are the Nordic nRF Connect Logs
From the broken module

nRF Connect, 2018-02-26
Lounge Room
Light (E0:62:A9:AC:CA:03)
V	12:59:12.685	Connecting to E0:62:A9:AC:CA:03...
D	12:59:12.685	gatt = device.connectGatt(autoConnect = false)
D	12:59:13.157	[Callback] Connection state changed with status: 0 and new state: CONNECTED (2)
D	12:59:13.157	[Broadcast] Action received: android.bluetooth.device.action.ACL_CONNECTED
I	12:59:13.157	Connected to E0:62:A9:AC:CA:03
V	12:59:13.196	Discovering services...
D	12:59:13.197	gatt.discoverServices()
D	12:59:20.184	[Callback] Services discovered with status: 129
E	12:59:20.185	Error 129 (0x81): GATT INTERNAL ERROR
D	12:59:20.187	[Callback] Connection state changed with status: 133 and new state: DISCONNECTED (0)
E	12:59:20.187	Error 133 (0x85): GATT ERROR
I	12:59:20.187	Disconnected
D	12:59:20.269	[Broadcast] Action received: android.bluetooth.device.action.ACL_DISCONNECTED
V	12:59:29.277	Refreshing device cache...
D	12:59:29.277	gatt.refresh() (hidden)
I	12:59:29.279	Cache refreshed

From another V1.5 with same sketch loaded.

nRF Connect, 2018-02-26
Lounge Room
Light (D4:3B:B4:9B:62:A6)
V	13:32:28.378	Connecting to D4:3B:B4:9B:62:A6...
D	13:32:28.378	gatt = device.connectGatt(autoConnect = false)
D	13:32:28.395	[Callback] Connection state changed with status: 0 and new state: CONNECTED (2)
I	13:32:28.396	Connected to D4:3B:B4:9B:62:A6
D	13:32:28.576	[Broadcast] Action received: android.bluetooth.device.action.ACL_CONNECTED
V	13:32:28.577	Discovering services...
D	13:32:28.577	gatt.discoverServices()
D	13:32:29.933	[Callback] Services discovered with status: 0
I	13:32:29.937	Services discovered
V	13:32:29.975	Generic Access (0x1800)
- Device Name [R W] (0x2A00)
- Appearance [R] (0x2A01)
- Peripheral Preferred Connection Parameters [R] (0x2A04)
Generic Attribute (0x1801)
- Service Changed [I] (0x2A05)
   Client Characteristic Configuration (0x2902)
Nordic UART Service (6e400001-b5a3-f393-e0a9-e50e24dcca9e)
- RX Characteristic [W WNR] (6e400002-b5a3-f393-e0a9-e50e24dcca9e)
- TX Characteristic [N] (6e400003-b5a3-f393-e0a9-e50e24dcca9e)
   Client Characteristic Configuration (0x2902)
V	13:32:35.864	Reading all characteristics...
V	13:32:35.864	Reading characteristic 00002a00-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
D	13:32:35.864	gatt.readCharacteristic(00002a00-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
V	13:32:35.961	Reading characteristic 00002a01-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
D	13:32:35.961	gatt.readCharacteristic(00002a01-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
I	13:32:35.961	Read Response received from 00002a00-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb, value: (0x) 4C-6F-75-6E-67-65-20-52-6F-6F-6D-0A-4C-69-67-68-74
A	13:32:35.961	"Lounge Room
Light" received
V	13:32:36.058	Reading characteristic 00002a04-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
D	13:32:36.058	gatt.readCharacteristic(00002a04-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
I	13:32:36.058	Read Response received from 00002a01-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb, value: (0x) 00-02
A	13:32:36.058	"[512] Generic Tag (Generic category)" received
V	13:32:36.156	3 characteristics read
I	13:32:36.157	Read Response received from 00002a04-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb, value: (0x) 28-00-90-01-00-00-90-01
A	13:32:36.157	"Connection Interval: 50.00ms - 500.00ms,
Slave Latency: 0,
Supervision Timeout Multiplier: 400" received

#5

Hi @drmpf,

Please burn the bootloader via Arduino IDE to the broken Nano and try the same sketch again.

Best regards,
Guohui