BTStack on WICED 3.5.2 problems (solved)

I’m trying to use BTstack in WICED 3.5.2

1. I have cloned https://github.com/bluekitchen/btstack to WICED-3.5.2/libraries

2. Changed branch to ble-api-cleanup

3. executed /port/wiced/create_examples.py

4. Now building ./make btstack.spp_and_le_counter-RB_DUO fails with
    No rule to make target 'libraries/btstack/port/wiced/../../../drivers/bluetooth/firmware/43438A1/bt_firmware_image.c', needed by 'build/btstack/spp_and_le_counter-RB_DUO/Modules/libraries/btstack/port/wiced/../../../drivers/bluetooth/firmware/43438A1/bt_firmware_image.o'. Stop. This can be fixed by adding $(BT_CHIP_XTAL_FREQUENCY) to libraries/btstack/port/wiced/wiced.mk so the last part looks like this:
    $(NAME)_SOURCES += \ main.c \ btstack_run_loop_wiced.c \ hci_transport_h4_wiced.c \ ../../chipset/bcm/btstack_chipset_bcm.c \ ../../../drivers/bluetooth/firmware/$(BT_CHIP)$(BT_CHIP_REVISION)/$(BT_CHIP_XTAL_FREQUENCY)/bt_firmware_image.c \

5. Next problem is tools/ARM_GNU/bin/Linux64/arm-none-eabi-ld: cannot open map file build/btstack/spp_and_le_counter-RB_DUO/binary/btstack/spp_and_le_counter-RB_DUO.map: No such file or directory. I’m working around this by mkdir build/btstack/spp_and_le_counter-RB_DUO/binary/btstack/ and now the build completes.

6. When I run it on the Duo I see the following:

Starting WICED v3.5.2
Platform RB_DUO initialised
Started ThreadX v5.6
Initialising NetX_Duo v5.7_sp2
Creating Packet pools
WWD SDIO interface initialised
WLAN MAC Address : E0:76:D0:37:83:19
WLAN Firmware : wl0: Nov 25 2015 12:57:14 version 7.45.45.1 (r602358) FWID 01-1920c040
BTstack on WICED
Broadcom init script BCM4343A1_001_002_009_0018_0000_Generic_UART_26MHz_wlbga_ref_hcd, len 17405
RFCOMM_REGISTER_SERVICE channel #1 mtu 65535 flow_control 0 credits 10
L2CAP_REGISTER_SERVICE psm 0x3 mtu 65535
L2CAP_REGISTER_SERVICE psm 0x1 mtu 65535
SDP service record size: 95
hci_power_control: 1, current mode 0
Broadcom init script BCM4343A1_001_002_009_0018_0000_Generic_UART_26MHz_wlbga_ref_hcd, len 17405
BTSTACK_EVENT_STATE 1
hci_initializing_run: substate 0
Resend HCI Reset

Resend HCI Reset

Resend HCI Reset

With HCI logging enabled:

EVT <= 60 01 01
CMD => 03 0C 00
EVT <= 6E 00
Resend HCI Reset
CMD => 03 0C 00

Other examples have the same problem. Any ideas?

Hi. Last time I’ve tried with WICED 3.3.1. The fix with the BT_CHIP_XTAL_FREQUENCY most likely results from there. Please use master branch now. The ble-api-cleanup branch has solved it’s purpose and isn’t used anymore.

The log indicates that the Bluetooth chip isn’t responding, hard to guess what’s going on there.

I’ll give it a try on 3.5.2 soon. Stay tuned.

Hi again. I’ve updated the BTstack develop branch to compile against the 3.5.2 SDK. Unfortunately, BTstack doesn’t get a response from the Broadcom Bluetooth chipset.

@redbear: Where’s the version of BTstack that’s used with the Arduino SDK? Does it use 3.3.1 or 3.5.2?

For now, you could use the 3.3.1 SDK with the ble-api-cleanup branch as it worked for me. You would also need the older version of RedBear’s SDK fix for 3.3.1 - there’s an 3.3.1 branch most likely for this.

I’ll try to figure out what changed between the SDKs.

Matthias

Do you mean the WICED SDK version we building the libraries with? If so, 3.3.1 is used.

BTW, thank you so much for your support! :wink:

No surprise for you, but I confirm it works with WICED 3.3.1 and BTstack ble-api-cleanup branch.

Hi. Broadcom changed the function signature of platform_uart_receive_bytes without mentioning it anywhere and I’ve missed the compiler warning.

I’ve fixed it in the master branch. Please try again :slight_smile:

Thanks to RedBear for pointing out the change.

With some small fixes to wiced.mk (see my pull request) it now works with WICED 3.5.2! :slight_smile: Thanks! I’ll try to update the README files as well.

Thanks for the pull request. I added the 3.3.1 + 3.5.2 fix in the end and didn’t see the incorrect := assignment.