Can we use redbear duo as a beacon scanner?

Hi,

I’d like to use several scanners to localize beacons or bluetooth devices in a room. I will have a raspberry that contains all inteligence, but I need at least two others points to detect distance of all peripherals. Can I use the duo to scan BLE devices with bluetooth and send all devices informations (or an average of several values) to my Raspberry? My first idea was to have 3 Raspberrys, but if I can replace 2 by Duo it’s better and cheaper.

Thanks
Florian

hi @flo5589:

Of course you can ! In fact we provided an example that named as “Web_BLE_Scanner” in the" Combo" folder.Maybe you can refer it .

The example specified by @jackson is here.

Thanks very much for your answers, so we’ll may be buy this card to try this soon.

hiii guohui, i need to know that can i use BLE nano as a peripheral device and redbear duo as the central device…will it work ??? i also want to add sleep functionality to the peripheral device

Of course it will. See the examples here: https://github.com/redbear/STM32-Arduino/tree/master/arduino/libraries/RedBear_Duo/examples/04.Combo/TCPServerControlMultiBLEPeripherals

hii guohui, thanks for your reply, Can i add auto connect functionality to it too???
Actually i want to add deep sleep functionality to the BLE nano , it will be active only when it has to send some data to the central device which will continuously scan for the available peripheral device …now i want that the central device(Redbear Duo) should automatically connect to the BLE nano when it leaves the deep Sleep mode… can you please guide me how to make that work.???

Hi @anand-tiwary,

On the BLE Nano side, you can make it enter deep sleep mode, in which the BLE Nano stops advertising. Upon it has data to be sent, it starts advertising, until it is connected by the RedBear Duo. After the data being sent, BLE Nano disconnects from RedBear Duo initiatively.

On the RedBear Duo side, you just make it scanning the BLE Nano continuously. Upon it scanned the BLE Nano, connect to it and receive the data sent by BLE Nano. Then wait for disconnection initiated by BLE Nano.

hello @guohui,

Thanks for your reply, its really helpful.
I want to know that there is a programming reference manual for redbear duo which is available at https://github.com/redbear/Duo/blob/master/docs/programming_reference_manual.md .is there any such manual for BLE nano ???

I would suggest you open a new thread to talk about this question. :smile: As I am not familiar with BLE Nano.

its ok , thanks for your Help…

I am trying to use the redbear duo to scan for iBeacons or Eddystone UIDs so that when I am within range of the duo, I can turn a light on.

So far I have been unable to get the duo to see a BLE iBeacon close to it ( < 1m away).

I can see when I try to connect to the duo using LightBlue on my iPhone, but this appears to be more a host that I can connect to than a scanner watching for local devices.

The application I am using is the: WebServerBLEScanner from the examples in Arduino.

Does this code need to be modified to do what I am asking?

James

Hi @espjames,

Definitely yes. That example is generic for scanning BLE devices around it. You should filter the Beacons by specific data in the advertising data. And then if the RSSI of the filtered device is within a specific range, turn on the light!