Cannot upload and/or execute sketches to Redbear Duo

So I have access to three Redbear Duos in total, two newer ones and an older one. I can get neither of them to work.

I’ve updated one of the newer ones to firmware version 3.3 but when I try to upload a sketch using Arduiono IDE I just get the error message:

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows 8.1), Board: “RedBear Duo (Native USB Port)”

32+0 records in
32+0 records out
32 bytes (32 B) copied, 0 seconds, Infinity B/s
4+0 records in
4+0 records out
4 bytes (4 B) copied, 0 seconds, Infinity B/s
Sketch uses 4408 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM4
PORTS {COM4, } / {COM4, } => {}
Uploading using selected port: COM4
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.0.1-arduino5/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\RedBear\hardware\STM32F2\0.3.3/avrdude_conf/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pcortex-m3 -cavr109 -PCOM4 -b19200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_182700/RGB.ino.bin.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58
Copyright © 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright © 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\RedBear\hardware\STM32F2\0.3.3/avrdude_conf/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM4
     Using Programmer              : avr109
     Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
     AVR Part                      : cortex-m3
     Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
     PAGEL                         : PD7
     BS2                           : PA0
     RESET disposition             : dedicated
     RETRY pulse                   : SCK
     serial program mode           : yes
     parallel program mode         : yes
     Timeout                       : 200
     StabDelay                     : 100
     CmdexeDelay                   : 25
     SyncLoops                     : 32
     ByteDelay                     : 0
     PollIndex                     : 3
     PollValue                     : 0x53
     Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
       Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
       ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
       flash         65    10    64    0 yes    262144 4096     64  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
                              Block Poll               Page                       Polled
       Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
       ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
       signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : butterfly
     Description     : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader

Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: Send: . [1b]
avrdude: Send: S [53]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Though I remember that after the firmware update it was weirdly difficult the get the board into listening mode again. Could something have gone wrong during the update?

The second newer one is still at version 3.1. When I’m using the Arduino Redbear package with version 3.3 the program claims to have uploaded the sketch successfully but it doesn’t get executed on the Redbear. After uploading it just switches back to listening mode. I’ve tested them with the Blink and RBG example sketches so it shouldn’t be a compiler issue.
When I downgrade the Arduino Redbear package to version 3.1, the same version as the board, I just get this error message instead:

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows 8.1), Board: “RedBear Duo (Native USB Port)”

Board RedBear_Duo_native (platform STM32F2, package RedBear) is unknown

Error compiling for board RedBear Duo (Native USB Port).

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

The old Redbear was used for different project before and is still at firmware version 2.4. When I try to upload one of the example sketches I get compiler errors instead.

At this point I’ve spent several days trying to google the error messages or to find any helpful information online but to no avail. I’m fairly sure I should have the correct drivers installed by now, but then again none of them are working so who knows. I’m really out of ideas which is why I’m seeking help on this forum.

OK, so I tried to reinstall the firmware update and at first was getting the same error messages as before, but later I noticed that the Duo was suddenly no longer in listening mode even though I did nothing. Instead it had the small light blinking blue with the lager light slowly blinking white. I later found out that this seems to be the behavior of the example blinking sketch.

And now uploading other sketches seems to be working fine. I have no Idea what I did differently that before but I’m glad it seems to be working for now.