Discussion Forums

Duo won't connect via BLE

I’m completely new to working with the Duo, and only fairly familiar with Arduinos. I’m running the Duo off of Arduino IDE, and I set up all the drivers to get it connected. On Arduino IDE, I installed the RedBear Duo version 0.2.10 under board manager. When I look up the Duo board’s firmware (using ‘v’), it says 0.2.4. I downloaded the dfu-util as well, and used the “burn bootloader” successfully on the board.

The main use out of this board is to get the BLE connected. I do not understand what’s wrong with it–I was able to get the blink example working while plugged into the computer. I have the BLE controller app on my phone, but it doesn’t pick up anything from the Duo. My phone detects the Duo when I scan for bluetooth, but after trying to connect it says “unable to connect with Duo”.

Results from running BLEScanner:
32+0 records in
32+0 records out
32 bytes (32 B) copied, 0.006 seconds, 5.3 kB/s
4+0 records in
4+0 records out
4 bytes (4 B) copied, 0.006 seconds, 0.7 kB/s

Sketch uses 4,760 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262,144 bytes.
Found programmer: Id = “RBL-DUO”; type = S
Software Version = 1.0; Hardware Version = 1.0
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=64 bytes.

There is an error line in SimpleBLEController. After commenting it out, this is the result of running that example:
Build options changed, rebuilding all
32+0 records in
32+0 records out
32 bytes (32 B) copied, 0.006 seconds, 5.3 kB/s
4+0 records in
4+0 records out
4 bytes (4 B) copied, 0.005 seconds, 800 B/s

Sketch uses 5,928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262,144 bytes.
Found programmer: Id = “RBL-DUO”; type = S
Software Version = 1.0; Hardware Version = 1.0
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=64 bytes.

Does anybody know how to fix this?? I’ve tried connecting via bluetooth on my laptop as well, it’s the same “unable to connect” response.

0.2.4 is the version I use.

Can you run the BLE_Peripheral sketch to see if you can connect to it using your phone using BLE Scanner or something similar?

Yup, it shows up as a bluetooth device on my phone when I scan for bluetooth, but won’t connect, and it doesn’t even show up at all when I scan for BLE devices using BLE controller for android. I have a Samsung galaxy s5 running on Android 5.0. On the app, it says it detects no BLE devices.

If you are trying to connect to the Duo using the phone Settings/BLE/Connect, it will not Pair.

To use the Android RebBear BLE Controller app, I believe you need to upload the RedBear BLE SimpleChat sketch to the Duo. I tried it on my Samsung S6, 6.0.1 and it finds the Duo, named Biscuit.

On the Android BLE Scanner v3.3 I downloaded from Google Play, it also shows up and I can connect.

What was the line in the sketch you commented out on SimpleControls? It compiled okay for me.

3 Likes

Hi @rdha, Only the sketches BLEController , SimpleControls and SimpleChat can work with the BLEController App.

1 Like

Wow, thank you so very much!!! I obviously couldn’t put 2 and 2 together, as I ran different examples on the board but not matching the order with the app! It works now, thanks again. Please excuse my incompetence. … first time working with duo and bluetooth and I couldn’t find any sort of instructions about it online.

Thanks! I’m learning how it works now, got the bluetooth connected finally!

:slight_smile: I was not born with the knowledge either, so no incompetence on your part. I’ve just been through it all a bit earlier than you. So glad you got it working.

Cheers!!

Bill

Please refer to this guide:

That’s great, thank you!

I have the BLEController sketch installed on my duo and it shows up on the BLEController App on scan, but on connect, it doesn’t receive a response from the BLE Controller Sketch. Likewise in my Unity app the whole userflow works fine with the RedBear Shield but also not receiving a response from the duo. Opening the Arduino terminal, it does receive the commands from the app, but I’m guessing it fails to send? As my custom app doesn’t receive a response from the duo when querying version # but with the shield it receives it. Both are using the same Service and Characteristic IDs.