Discussion Forums

How to get live RSSI value of a connected device

Sample code retrieves the RSSI value from report argument of the callback function only once when the device is discovered but what is the way to get live RSSI value of a connected device?

BTStack commercial license

Hi @reducedverticalseper:

Are you talking about the WiFi or BLE?

This is for BLE, BLE_central_demo connecting to BLEcontroller

You can query the RSSI of Classic and BR/EDR connections via the hci_read_rssi command.

I have no good idea how to do that from the Arduino API and/or integrate it nicely. RedBears?

@jixing would look into it. If possible, we’ll add this API in next firware release.

Uhm… it’s almost time to yell: 0.2.4 around the corner :smile:

Did this get in 2.4 release? I did not see it in the release notes on GitHub.

BLE Signal Strength of connected device

I’m sorry to tell you that getting the RSSI of a connected BLE device is not supported by BTStack. @mringwal, please have a double confirmation. Thanks!

Sorry, I’ve mistyped. It should be:

According to the Bluetooth spec, you can query the RSSI of LE and BR/EDR connections via the hci_read_rssi command. So, it’s supported by BTstack, but needs to be integrated. RedBears: could do a quick test to see if you can get the RSSI value for an LE connection via this command?

Hello,
I’m really interested in the potentiel answer to the last question of this thread, that is why I’m digging this up.
Thanks