Major Issues with BLE Nano v2

I’m new to the red bear ecosystem, and am having some extreme difficulties even running simple demos to ensure my Nano v2 works. The main issue being that I can’t upload code from Arduino 1.8.5, it tells me that the selected serial port does not exist or your board is not connected. Under the recommendation of other threads in the forums, I attempted to burn the bootloader, which also spit out an error: unable to find cmsis-dap device.

EDIT: I was able to update the DAPlink by draging and droping the DAPlink 1.0 .bin file, I still can’t upload sketches to the Nano

Please let me know if there is a fix to my problems, since I need this device to function to demo the Nordic nRF52, since I may be implimenting this chip in a product I’m developing, so any help is greatly appreciated.

• jj

Hi @jj1,

What is the version of the DAPLink you are using?

I am using DAPlink v1.0. I am pretty sure that the device is booting, since all the Nano v2 light blinks, and the DAPlink flashes several times, then stays on

I should also mention that the Noridc_HRM demo with the nRF app, in that I see that I’m getting a triangular wave for the hrm measurement. I just can’t upload any code to the device, which is why the issue is with the ports, or daplink, or something along those lines

Hi @jj1,

What is the OS installed on you PC? Have you installed the driver for the DAPLink if using Windows? Please take a look at the getting started guide on the github if necessary.

Best regards,
Guohui

I have access to both windows 7 and Arch Linux. I instalelled the drivers for the DAPLink on the windows machine, and it didn’t work. I attempted a reinstall and it seems to work on the windows machine. I still can’t get it to work on the Linux machine, but if there isn’t a known work around, then that’s fine, I can use the windows machine instead. Thanks for the help Guohui, it is very appreciated.

I have to agree with jj1. I’ve had major difficulties with the Arduino code base as well, leaving my units bad enough to be un-usable.

I have two, and have had issues with my own code where I do not use bluetooth, where pins are randomly miss-mapped.

Regarding the examples, I have been unable to run any with the nRF Toolbox. The entire reason for this purchase was to enable bluetooth communication while sticking to an Arduino codebase given it’s wide community support. Given I can’t even run the examples, I would have been better off just buying an Arduino Nano that does not have the same pin mis-matching problem.

Whether, it’s user error or poor code base, it is obvious there is a major issue here. If it’s user error, then it’s poor documentation. Otherwise, there’s a major problem with the software. I am an engineer by trade (though not software), and have been unable to figure this out. I have vast experience coding on the atmega32 well before Arduino existed. jj1 seems to have independently confirmed the same issues, and given he uses linux, I doubt that he is an inexperienced user.

Hope to see some progress on this issue, as the hardware is simple and would be very powerful with the proper software implementation.

-Joe

Hi @ampstick-joe,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! We have now invited a new colleague to dedicate himself on the nRF5x support, he will help improve the code reliability and update the relevant documents.

If you have difficulties using the DAPLink, hope this link would be helpful for now.

Best regards,
Guohui

Joe,
What kind of software and setup are you using – Windows (version?) and the Android application together?

I just got my BLE NanoV2 board yesterday, and I was able to run several of the Ardunio sketches using Arduino v1.8.5 and a Windows 10 PC. I don’t have an Android phone, however I was able to observe the serial port output and see the Bluetooth device and BLE_HRM values incrementing using the free Microsoft Windows 10 utility called “Bluetooth LE Explorer”, which is like a low-level bluetooth observer program. I was also able to see and connect to the Bluetooth device using the bluetoothctl utility on Raspberry Pi3, which is another low-level utility.

Maybe you can try some of these low-level sniffer utilities to see if the problem lies with the Android phone/application, or with the RedBear/Windows side of things.

–Doug

Doug,

Appreciate your input. I am using Windows 10, with Arduino 1.8.5, and the latest code from the Red Bear repository.

I haven’t had the time to touch this since the forum post. I had obtained the unit in the hopes that it would be an easy thing to implement, as it is not necessary (but really nice to have).

I see the value in what you suggest with the low-level programs, and really value the community nature of this product. These days, I don’t have that kind of time to dedicate to this, but have done so in the past. I do understand the difficulties with the software involved.

Could be my old-school nature, but in my career I always ensured my examples worked without any issues (as long as the instructions were followed). I followed this for my own attempt at a start-up, as well as being part of the culture at my previous company. Seems like a simple thing to ask for as a older guy in this new field (wireless/bluetooth). Had this been my own code, I would have been very driven to delve into the nitty-gritty debugging that you describe to ensure that it works as described.

Hope to see positive progress on this issue in the near future! It would be very useful for guys like me.

Thanks!
-Joe