SoftAP - Reliability

Using the Particle Soft AP functionality to do WiFi configuration is proving problematic and unreliable when it is included along side my code base . I have included steps to reproduce behavior below and perhaps there is a way to address this.

The environment

Using DUO with 0.3.1. The Soft AP setup comes from:
https://docs.particle.io/reference/firmware/photon/#complete-example37

A simple use of the code example above will result in a functional Soft AP configuration tool, however when used with an existing code base it does not work reliably. More on that later.

The Issue:

Trying to load the configuration page only works about 10% of the time (if that) using a variety of devices (iOS, Mac, PC-Chrome, PC-IE, Android). And to get that ~10% success rate you have to do a lot of page refreshing to get the page to load completely. While the index.html page will almost always load, the script content it references will not. Constant refreshing will sometime complete the load, but it is very frustrating.

Here is a packet trace showing what a typical load looks like. As you will see the first *.js file is not complete. At that point the browser just hangs.

Connecting to 192.168.0.1:80 from 192.168.0.2:56204...ok
GET /index.html HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.0.1
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML,
 like Gecko) Chrome/63.0.3239.84 Safari/537.36
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/a
png,*/*;q=0.8
DNT: 1
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Connection: Keep-Alive
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

47e
<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><meta name='viewport' content='width=device-width, in
itial-scale=1'><title>Setup your device</title><link rel='stylesheet' type='text
/css' href='style.css'></head><body><h1>Connect your Collector to WiFi!</h1><h3>
Collector ID:</h3><input type=text id='device-id' size='25' value='' disabled/><
button type='button' class='input-helper' id='copy-button'>Copy</button><div id=
'scan-div'><h3>Scan for visible WiFi networks</h3><button id='scan-button' type=
'button'>Scan</button></div><div id='networks-div'></div><div id='connect-div' s
tyle='display: none'><p>Don't see your network? Move me closer to your router, t
hen re-scan.</p><form id='connect-form'><input type='password' id='password' siz
e='25' placeholder='password'/><button type='button' class='input-helper' id='sh
ow-button'>Show</button><button type='submit' id='connect-button'>Connect</butto
n></form></div><script src='rsa-utils/jsbn_1.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils
/jsbn_2.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/prng4.js'></script><script src='rsa-
utils/rng.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/rsa.js'></script><script src='scri
pt.js'></script></body></html>

GET /style.css HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML,
Accept: text/css,*/*;q=0.1
Referer: http://192.168.0.1/index.html

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/css

6ce
html{height:100%;margin:auto;background-color:white}body{box-sizing:border-box;m
in-height:100%;padding:20px;background-color:#1aabe0;font-family:'Lucida Sans Un
icode','Lucida Grande',sans-serif;font-weight:normal;color:white;margin-top:0;ma
rgin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;margin-bottom:0;max-width:400px;text-align:cent
er;border:1px solid #6e6e70;border-radius:4px}div{margin-top:25px;margin-bottom:
25px}h1{margin-top:25px;margin-bottom:25px}button{border-color:#1c75be;backgroun
d-color:#1c75be;color:white;border-radius:5px;height:30px;font-size:15px;font-we
ight:bold}button.input-helper{background-color:#bebebe;border-color:#bebebe;colo
io-div{box-sizing:border-box;margin:2px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;backg
round-color:white;color:#6e6e70;border:1px solid #6e6e70;border-radius:3px;width
:100%;padding:5px}#networks-div{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;text-align:le
ft}#device-id{text-align:center}#scan-button{min-width:100px}#connect-button{dis
play:block;min-width:100px;margin-top:10px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;ma
rgin-bottom:20px}#password{margin-top:20px;margin-bottom:10px}

GET /rsa-utils/jsbn_1.js HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Referer: http://192.168.0.1/index.html

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: application/javascript

105e
var dbits;var canary=0xdeadbeefcafe;var j_lm=((canary&0xffffff)==0xefcafe);funct
ion BigInteger(a,b,c){if(a!=null)if('number'==typeof a)this.fromNumber(a,b,c);el
se if(b==null&&'string'!=typeof a)this.fromString(a,256);else this.fromString(a,
b);}function nbi(){return new BigInteger(null);}function am1(a,b,c,d,e,f){while(
--f>=0){var g=b*this[a++]+c[d]+e;e=Math.floor(g/0x4000000);c[d++]=g&0x3ffffff;}r
eturn e;}function am2(a,b,c,d,e,f){var g=b&0x7fff,h=b>>15;while(--f>=0){var i=th
is[a]&0x7fff;var j=this[a++]>>15;var k=h*i+j*g;i=g*i+((k&0x7fff)<<15)+c[d]+(e&0x
3fffffff);e=(i>>>30)+(k>>>15)+h*j+(e>>>30);c[d++]=i&0x3fffffff;}return e;}functi
on am3(a,b,c,d,e,f){var g=b&0x3fff,h=b>>14;while(--f>=0){var i=this[a]&0x3fff;va
a){for(var b=this.t-1;b>=0;--b)a[b]=this[b];a.t=this.t;a.s=this.s;}function bnpF
romInt(a){this.t=1;this.s=(a<0)?-1:0;if(a>0)this[0]=a;else if(a<-1)this[0]=a+thi
s.DV;else this.t=0;}function nbv(a){var b=nbi();b.fromInt(a);return b;}function 
bnpFromString(a,b){var c;if(b==16)c=4;else if(b==8)c=3;else if(b==256)c=8;else i
f(b==2)c=1;else if(b==32)c=5;else if(b==4)c=2;else{this.fromRadix(a,b);return;}t
his.t=0;this.s=0;var d=a.length,e=false,f=0;while(--d>=0){var g=(c==8)?a[d]&0xff
:intAt(a,d);if(g<0){if(a.charAt(d)=='-')e=true;continue;}e=false;if(f==0)this[th
is.t++]=g;else if(f+c>this.DB){this[this.t-1]|=(g&((1<<(this.DB-f))-1))<<f;this[
this.t++]=(g>>(this.DB-f));}else this[this.t-1]|=g<<f;f+=c;if(f>=this.DB)f-=this
.DB;}if(c==8&&(a[0]&0x80)!=0){this.s=-1;if(f>0)this[this.t-1]|=((1<<(this.DB-f))
-1)<<f;}this.clamp();if(e)BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(this,this);}function bnpClamp(){
var a=this.s&this.DM0 <-MISSING DATA -->

How to reproduce

The code below has a couple features to point out. First, I filled a memory buffer “fillmem[]” with 3K of character data to simulate the same amount of RAM my code is consuming. Second, I included a call to initialize BLE in the setup() which is also consistent with what I am doing in my code.

(note you need to add the 3K of data because I was limited to adding too much data to this post)

With the ble.init() call commented out the Soft AP functionality works fine. With it included it will not work. Further, if I remove the “fillmem[]” buffer but keep the ble.init() call then the SoftAP will work fine. I am just trying to demonstrate that I believe this is memory related.

The code

I have stripped out most of my code in the example below to demonstrate the behavior is not necessarily related to any special code I am using.

#include "Particle.h"
#include "softap_http.h"

SYSTEM_THREAD(ENABLED);
SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC);
BLE_SETUP(DISABLED);

//wifi setup
struct Page
{
	const char* url;
	const char* mime_type;
	const char* data;
};

char fillmem[] = "**ADD 3K OF DATA HERE**";

const char index_html[] = "<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><meta name='viewport' content='width=device-width, initial-scale=1'><title>Setup your device</title><link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='style.css'></head><body><h1>Connect me to your WiFi!</h1><h3>My device ID:</h3><input type=text id='device-id' size='25' value='' disabled/><button type='button' class='input-helper' id='copy-button'>Copy</button><div id='scan-div'><h3>Scan for visible WiFi networks</h3><button id='scan-button' type='button'>Scan</button></div><div id='networks-div'></div><div id='connect-div' style='display: none'><p>Don't see your network? Move me closer to your router, then re-scan.</p><form id='connect-form'><input type='password' id='password' size='25' placeholder='password'/><button type='button' class='input-helper' id='show-button'>Show</button><button type='submit' id='connect-button'>Connect</button></form></div><script src='rsa-utils/jsbn_1.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/jsbn_2.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/prng4.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/rng.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/rsa.js'></script><script src='script.js'></script></body></html>";
const char rsa_js[] = "function parseBigInt(a,b){return new BigInteger(a,b);}function linebrk(a,b){var c='';var d=0;while(d+b<a.length){c+=a.substring(d,d+b)+'\\n';d+=b;}return c+a.substring(d,a.length);}function byte2Hex(a){if(a<0x10)return '0'+a.toString(16);else return a.toString(16);}function pkcs1pad2(a,b){if(b<a.length+11){alert('Message too long for RSA');return null;}var c=new Array();var d=a.length-1;while(d>=0&&b>0){var e=a.charCodeAt(d--);if(e<128)c[--b]=e;else if((e>127)&&(e<2048)){c[--b]=(e&63)|128;c[--b]=(e>>6)|192;}else{c[--b]=(e&63)|128;c[--b]=((e>>6)&63)|128;c[--b]=(e>>12)|224;}}c[--b]=0;var f=new SecureRandom();var g=new Array();while(b>2){g[0]=0;while(g[0]==0)f.nextBytes(g);c[--b]=g[0];}c[--b]=2;c[--b]=0;return new BigInteger(c);}function RSAKey(){this.n=null;this.e=0;this.d=null;this.p=null;this.q=null;this.dmp1=null;this.dmq1=null;this.coeff=null;}function RSASetPublic(a,b){if(a!=null&&b!=null&&a.length>0&&b.length>0){this.n=parseBigInt(a,16);this.e=parseInt(b,16);}else alert('Invalid RSA public key');}function RSADoPublic(a){return a.modPowInt(this.e,this.n);}function RSAEncrypt(a){var b=pkcs1pad2(a,(this.n.bitLength()+7)>>3);if(b==null)return null;var c=this.doPublic(b);if(c==null)return null;var d=c.toString(16);if((d.length&1)==0)return d;else return '0'+d;}RSAKey.prototype.doPublic=RSADoPublic;RSAKey.prototype.setPublic=RSASetPublic;RSAKey.prototype.encrypt=RSAEncrypt;";
const char style_css[] = "html{height:100%;margin:auto;background-color:white}body{box-sizing:border-box;min-height:100%;padding:20px;background-color:#1aabe0;font-family:'Lucida Sans Unicode','Lucida Grande',sans-serif;font-weight:normal;color:white;margin-top:0;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;margin-bottom:0;max-width:400px;text-align:center;border:1px solid #6e6e70;border-radius:4px}div{margin-top:25px;margin-bottom:25px}h1{margin-top:25px;margin-bottom:25px}button{border-color:#1c75be;background-color:#1c75be;color:white;border-radius:5px;height:30px;font-size:15px;font-weight:bold}button.input-helper{background-color:#bebebe;border-color:#bebebe;color:#6e6e70;margin-left:3px}button:disabled{background-color:#bebebe;border-color:#bebebe;color:white}input[type='text'],input[type='password']{background-color:white;color:#6e6e70;border-color:white;border-radius:5px;height:25px;text-align:center;font-size:15px}input:disabled{background-color:#bebebe;border-color:#bebebe}input[type='radio']{position:relative;bottom:-0.33em;margin:0;border:0;height:1.5em;width:15%}label{padding-top:7px;padding-bottom:7px;padding-left:5%;display:inline-block;width:80%;text-align:left}input[type='radio']:checked+label{font-weight:bold;color:#1c75be}.scanning-error{font-weight:bold;text-align:center}.radio-div{box-sizing:border-box;margin:2px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;background-color:white;color:#6e6e70;border:1px solid #6e6e70;border-radius:3px;width:100%;padding:5px}#networks-div{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;text-align:left}#device-id{text-align:center}#scan-button{min-width:100px}#connect-button{display:block;min-width:100px;margin-top:10px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;margin-bottom:20px}#password{margin-top:20px;margin-bottom:10px}";
const char rng_js[] = "var rng_state;var rng_pool;var rng_pptr;function rng_seed_int(a){rng_pool[rng_pptr++]^=a&255;rng_pool[rng_pptr++]^=(a>>8)&255;rng_pool[rng_pptr++]^=(a>>16)&255;rng_pool[rng_pptr++]^=(a>>24)&255;if(rng_pptr>=rng_psize)rng_pptr-=rng_psize;}function rng_seed_time(){rng_seed_int(new Date().getTime());}if(rng_pool==null){rng_pool=new Array();rng_pptr=0;var t;if(window.crypto&&window.crypto.getRandomValues){var ua=new Uint8Array(32);window.crypto.getRandomValues(ua);for(t=0;t<32;++t)rng_pool[rng_pptr++]=ua[t];}if(navigator.appName=='Netscape'&&navigator.appVersion<'5'&&window.crypto){var z=window.crypto.random(32);for(t=0;t<z.length;++t)rng_pool[rng_pptr++]=z.charCodeAt(t)&255;}while(rng_pptr<rng_psize){t=Math.floor(65536*Math.random());rng_pool[rng_pptr++]=t>>>8;rng_pool[rng_pptr++]=t&255;}rng_pptr=0;rng_seed_time();}function rng_get_byte(){if(rng_state==null){rng_seed_time();rng_state=prng_newstate();rng_state.init(rng_pool);for(rng_pptr=0;rng_pptr<rng_pool.length;++rng_pptr)rng_pool[rng_pptr]=0;rng_pptr=0;}return rng_state.next();}function rng_get_bytes(a){var b;for(b=0;b<a.length;++b)a[b]=rng_get_byte();}function SecureRandom(){}SecureRandom.prototype.nextBytes=rng_get_bytes;";
const char jsbn_2_js[] = "function bnpRShiftTo(a,b){b.s=this.s;var c=Math.floor(a/this.DB);if(c>=this.t){b.t=0;return;}var d=a%this.DB;var e=this.DB-d;var f=(1<<d)-1;b[0]=this[c]>>d;for(var g=c+1;g<this.t;++g){b[g-c-1]|=(this[g]&f)<<e;b[g-c]=this[g]>>d;}if(d>0)b[this.t-c-1]|=(this.s&f)<<e;b.t=this.t-c;b.clamp();}function bnpSubTo(a,b){var c=0,d=0,e=Math.min(a.t,this.t);while(c<e){d+=this[c]-a[c];b[c++]=d&this.DM;d>>=this.DB;}if(a.t<this.t){d-=a.s;while(c<this.t){d+=this[c];b[c++]=d&this.DM;d>>=this.DB;}d+=this.s;}else{d+=this.s;while(c<a.t){d-=a[c];b[c++]=d&this.DM;d>>=this.DB;}d-=a.s;}b.s=(d<0)?-1:0;if(d<-1)b[c++]=this.DV+d;else if(d>0)b[c++]=d;b.t=c;b.clamp();}function bnpMultiplyTo(a,b){var c=this.abs(),d=a.abs();var e=c.t;b.t=e+d.t;while(--e>=0)b[e]=0;for(e=0;e<d.t;++e)b[e+c.t]=c.am(0,d[e],b,e,0,c.t);b.s=0;b.clamp();if(this.s!=a.s)BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(b,b);}function bnpSquareTo(a){var b=this.abs();var c=a.t=2*b.t;while(--c>=0)a[c]=0;for(c=0;c<b.t-1;++c){var d=b.am(c,b[c],a,2*c,0,1);if((a[c+b.t]+=b.am(c+1,2*b[c],a,2*c+1,d,b.t-c-1))>=b.DV){a[c+b.t]-=b.DV;a[c+b.t+1]=1;}}if(a.t>0)a[a.t-1]+=b.am(c,b[c],a,2*c,0,1);a.s=0;a.clamp();}function bnpDivRemTo(a,b,c){var d=a.abs();if(d.t<=0)return;var e=this.abs();if(e.t<d.t){if(b!=null)b.fromInt(0);if(c!=null)this.copyTo(c);return;}if(c==null)c=nbi();var f=nbi(),g=this.s,h=a.s;var i=this.DB-nbits(d[d.t-1]);if(i>0){d.lShiftTo(i,f);e.lShiftTo(i,c);}else{d.copyTo(f);e.copyTo(c);}var j=f.t;var k=f[j-1];if(k==0)return;var l=k*(1<<this.F1)+((j>1)?f[j-2]>>this.F2:0);var m=this.FV/l,n=(1<<this.F1)/l,o=1<<this.F2;var p=c.t,q=p-j,r=(b==null)?nbi():b;f.dlShiftTo(q,r);if(c.compareTo(r)>=0){c[c.t++]=1;c.subTo(r,c);}BigInteger.ONE.dlShiftTo(j,r);r.subTo(f,f);while(f.t<j)f[f.t++]=0;while(--q>=0){var s=(c[--p]==k)?this.DM:Math.floor(c[p]*m+(c[p-1]+o)*n);if((c[p]+=f.am(0,s,c,q,0,j))<s){f.dlShiftTo(q,r);c.subTo(r,c);while(c[p]<--s)c.subTo(r,c);}}if(b!=null){c.drShiftTo(j,b);if(g!=h)BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(b,b);}c.t=j;c.clamp();if(i>0)c.rShiftTo(i,c);if(g<0)BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(c,c);}function bnMod(a){var b=nbi();this.abs().divRemTo(a,null,b);if(this.s<0&&b.compareTo(BigInteger.ZERO)>0)a.subTo(b,b);return b;}function Classic(a){this.m=a;}function cConvert(a){if(a.s<0||a.compareTo(this.m)>=0)return a.mod(this.m);else return a;}function cRevert(a){return a;}function cReduce(a){a.divRemTo(this.m,null,a);}function cMulTo(a,b,c){a.multiplyTo(b,c);this.reduce(c);}function cSqrTo(a,b){a.squareTo(b);this.reduce(b);}Classic.prototype.convert=cConvert;Classic.prototype.revert=cRevert;Classic.prototype.reduce=cReduce;Classic.prototype.mulTo=cMulTo;Classic.prototype.sqrTo=cSqrTo;function bnpInvDigit(){if(this.t<1)return 0;var a=this[0];if((a&1)==0)return 0;var b=a&3;b=(b*(2-(a&0xf)*b))&0xf;b=(b*(2-(a&0xff)*b))&0xff;b=(b*(2-(((a&0xffff)*b)&0xffff)))&0xffff;b=(b*(2-a*b%this.DV))%this.DV;return(b>0)?this.DV-b:-b;}function Montgomery(a){this.m=a;this.mp=a.invDigit();this.mpl=this.mp&0x7fff;this.mph=this.mp>>15;this.um=(1<<(a.DB-15))-1;this.mt2=2*a.t;}function montConvert(a){var b=nbi();a.abs().dlShiftTo(this.m.t,b);b.divRemTo(this.m,null,b);if(a.s<0&&b.compareTo(BigInteger.ZERO)>0)this.m.subTo(b,b);return b;}function montRevert(a){var b=nbi();a.copyTo(b);this.reduce(b);return b;}function montReduce(a){while(a.t<=this.mt2)a[a.t++]=0;for(var b=0;b<this.m.t;++b){var c=a[b]&0x7fff;var d=(c*this.mpl+(((c*this.mph+(a[b]>>15)*this.mpl)&this.um)<<15))&a.DM;c=b+this.m.t;a[c]+=this.m.am(0,d,a,b,0,this.m.t);while(a[c]>=a.DV){a[c]-=a.DV;a[++c]++;}}a.clamp();a.drShiftTo(this.m.t,a);if(a.compareTo(this.m)>=0)a.subTo(this.m,a);}function montSqrTo(a,b){a.squareTo(b);this.reduce(b);}function montMulTo(a,b,c){a.multiplyTo(b,c);this.reduce(c);}Montgomery.prototype.convert=montConvert;Montgomery.prototype.revert=montRevert;Montgomery.prototype.reduce=montReduce;Montgomery.prototype.mulTo=montMulTo;Montgomery.prototype.sqrTo=montSqrTo;function bnpIsEven(){return((this.t>0)?(this[0]&1):this.s)==0;}function bnpExp(a,b){if(a>0xffffffff||a<1)return BigInteger.ONE;var c=nbi(),d=nbi(),e=b.convert(this),f=nbits(a)-1;e.copyTo(c);while(--f>=0){b.sqrTo(c,d);if((a&(1<<f))>0)b.mulTo(d,e,c);else{var g=c;c=d;d=g;}}return b.revert(c);}function bnModPowInt(a,b){var c;if(a<256||b.isEven())c=new Classic(b);else c=new Montgomery(b);return this.exp(a,c);}BigInteger.prototype.copyTo=bnpCopyTo;BigInteger.prototype.fromInt=bnpFromInt;BigInteger.prototype.fromString=bnpFromString;BigInteger.prototype.clamp=bnpClamp;BigInteger.prototype.dlShiftTo=bnpDLShiftTo;BigInteger.prototype.drShiftTo=bnpDRShiftTo;BigInteger.prototype.lShiftTo=bnpLShiftTo;BigInteger.prototype.rShiftTo=bnpRShiftTo;BigInteger.prototype.subTo=bnpSubTo;BigInteger.prototype.multiplyTo=bnpMultiplyTo;BigInteger.prototype.squareTo=bnpSquareTo;BigInteger.prototype.divRemTo=bnpDivRemTo;BigInteger.prototype.invDigit=bnpInvDigit;BigInteger.prototype.isEven=bnpIsEven;BigInteger.prototype.exp=bnpExp;BigInteger.prototype.toString=bnToString;BigInteger.prototype.negate=bnNegate;BigInteger.prototype.abs=bnAbs;BigInteger.prototype.compareTo=bnCompareTo;BigInteger.prototype.bitLength=bnBitLength;BigInteger.prototype.mod=bnMod;BigInteger.prototype.modPowInt=bnModPowInt;BigInteger.ZERO=nbv(0);BigInteger.ONE=nbv(1);";
const char jsbn_1_js[] = "var dbits;var canary=0xdeadbeefcafe;var j_lm=((canary&0xffffff)==0xefcafe);function BigInteger(a,b,c){if(a!=null)if('number'==typeof a)this.fromNumber(a,b,c);else if(b==null&&'string'!=typeof a)this.fromString(a,256);else this.fromString(a,b);}function nbi(){return new BigInteger(null);}function am1(a,b,c,d,e,f){while(--f>=0){var g=b*this[a++]+c[d]+e;e=Math.floor(g/0x4000000);c[d++]=g&0x3ffffff;}return e;}function am2(a,b,c,d,e,f){var g=b&0x7fff,h=b>>15;while(--f>=0){var i=this[a]&0x7fff;var j=this[a++]>>15;var k=h*i+j*g;i=g*i+((k&0x7fff)<<15)+c[d]+(e&0x3fffffff);e=(i>>>30)+(k>>>15)+h*j+(e>>>30);c[d++]=i&0x3fffffff;}return e;}function am3(a,b,c,d,e,f){var g=b&0x3fff,h=b>>14;while(--f>=0){var i=this[a]&0x3fff;var j=this[a++]>>14;var k=h*i+j*g;i=g*i+((k&0x3fff)<<14)+c[d]+e;e=(i>>28)+(k>>14)+h*j;c[d++]=i&0xfffffff;}return e;}if(j_lm&&(navigator.appName=='Microsoft Internet Explorer')){BigInteger.prototype.am=am2;dbits=30;}else if(j_lm&&(navigator.appName!='Netscape')){BigInteger.prototype.am=am1;dbits=26;}else{BigInteger.prototype.am=am3;dbits=28;}BigInteger.prototype.DB=dbits;BigInteger.prototype.DM=((1<<dbits)-1);BigInteger.prototype.DV=(1<<dbits);var BI_FP=52;BigInteger.prototype.FV=Math.pow(2,BI_FP);BigInteger.prototype.F1=BI_FP-dbits;BigInteger.prototype.F2=2*dbits-BI_FP;var BI_RM='0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz';var BI_RC=new Array();var rr,vv;rr='0'.charCodeAt(0);for(vv=0;vv<=9;++vv)BI_RC[rr++]=vv;rr='a'.charCodeAt(0);for(vv=10;vv<36;++vv)BI_RC[rr++]=vv;rr='A'.charCodeAt(0);for(vv=10;vv<36;++vv)BI_RC[rr++]=vv;function int2char(a){return BI_RM.charAt(a);}function intAt(a,b){var c=BI_RC[a.charCodeAt(b)];return(c==null)?-1:c;}function bnpCopyTo(a){for(var b=this.t-1;b>=0;--b)a[b]=this[b];a.t=this.t;a.s=this.s;}function bnpFromInt(a){this.t=1;this.s=(a<0)?-1:0;if(a>0)this[0]=a;else if(a<-1)this[0]=a+this.DV;else this.t=0;}function nbv(a){var b=nbi();b.fromInt(a);return b;}function bnpFromString(a,b){var c;if(b==16)c=4;else if(b==8)c=3;else if(b==256)c=8;else if(b==2)c=1;else if(b==32)c=5;else if(b==4)c=2;else{this.fromRadix(a,b);return;}this.t=0;this.s=0;var d=a.length,e=false,f=0;while(--d>=0){var g=(c==8)?a[d]&0xff:intAt(a,d);if(g<0){if(a.charAt(d)=='-')e=true;continue;}e=false;if(f==0)this[this.t++]=g;else if(f+c>this.DB){this[this.t-1]|=(g&((1<<(this.DB-f))-1))<<f;this[this.t++]=(g>>(this.DB-f));}else this[this.t-1]|=g<<f;f+=c;if(f>=this.DB)f-=this.DB;}if(c==8&&(a[0]&0x80)!=0){this.s=-1;if(f>0)this[this.t-1]|=((1<<(this.DB-f))-1)<<f;}this.clamp();if(e)BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(this,this);}function bnpClamp(){var a=this.s&this.DM;while(this.t>0&&this[this.t-1]==a)--this.t;}function bnToString(a){if(this.s<0)return '-'+this.negate().toString(a);var b;if(a==16)b=4;else if(a==8)b=3;else if(a==2)b=1;else if(a==32)b=5;else if(a==4)b=2;else return this.toRadix(a);var c=(1<<b)-1,d,e=false,f='',g=this.t;var h=this.DB-(g*this.DB)%b;if(g-->0){if(h<this.DB&&(d=this[g]>>h)>0){e=true;f=int2char(d);}while(g>=0){if(h<b){d=(this[g]&((1<<h)-1))<<(b-h);d|=this[--g]>>(h+=this.DB-b);}else{d=(this[g]>>(h-=b))&c;if(h<=0){h+=this.DB;--g;}}if(d>0)e=true;if(e)f+=int2char(d);}}return e?f:'0';}function bnNegate(){var a=nbi();BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(this,a);return a;}function bnAbs(){return(this.s<0)?this.negate():this;}function bnCompareTo(a){var b=this.s-a.s;if(b!=0)return b;var c=this.t;b=c-a.t;if(b!=0)return(this.s<0)?-b:b;while(--c>=0)if((b=this[c]-a[c])!=0)return b;return 0;}function nbits(a){var b=1,c;if((c=a>>>16)!=0){a=c;b+=16;}if((c=a>>8)!=0){a=c;b+=8;}if((c=a>>4)!=0){a=c;b+=4;}if((c=a>>2)!=0){a=c;b+=2;}if((c=a>>1)!=0){a=c;b+=1;}return b;}function bnBitLength(){if(this.t<=0)return 0;return this.DB*(this.t-1)+nbits(this[this.t-1]^(this.s&this.DM));}function bnpDLShiftTo(a,b){var c;for(c=this.t-1;c>=0;--c)b[c+a]=this[c];for(c=a-1;c>=0;--c)b[c]=0;b.t=this.t+a;b.s=this.s;}function bnpDRShiftTo(a,b){for(var c=a;c<this.t;++c)b[c-a]=this[c];b.t=Math.max(this.t-a,0);b.s=this.s;}function bnpLShiftTo(a,b){var c=a%this.DB;var d=this.DB-c;var e=(1<<d)-1;var f=Math.floor(a/this.DB),g=(this.s<<c)&this.DM,h;for(h=this.t-1;h>=0;--h){b[h+f+1]=(this[h]>>d)|g;g=(this[h]&e)<<c;}for(h=f-1;h>=0;--h)b[h]=0;b[f]=g;b.t=this.t+f+1;b.s=this.s;b.clamp();}";
const char script_js[] = "var base_url='http://192.168.0.1/';var network_list;var public_key;var rsa=new RSAKey();var scanButton=document.getElementById('scan-button');var connectButton=document.getElementById('connect-button');var copyButton=document.getElementById('copy-button');var showButton=document.getElementById('show-button');var deviceID=document.getElementById('device-id');var connectForm=document.getElementById('connect-form');var public_key_callback={success:function(a){console.log('Public key: '+a.b);public_key=a.b;rsa.setPublic(public_key.substring(58,58+256),public_key.substring(318,318+6));},error:function(a,b){console.log(a);window.alert('There was a problem fetching important information from your device. Please verify your connection, then reload this page.');}};var device_id_callback={success:function(a){var b=a.id;deviceID.value=b;},error:function(a,b){console.log(a);var c='COMMUNICATION_ERROR';deviceID.value=c;}};var scan=function(){console.log('Scanning...!');disableButtons();scanButton.innerHTML='Scanning...';connectButton.innerHTML='Connect';document.getElementById('connect-div').style.display='none';document.getElementById('networks-div').style.display='none';getRequest(base_url+'scan-ap',scan_callback);};var scan_callback={success:function(a){network_list=a.scans;console.log('I found:');var b=document.getElementById('networks-div');b.innerHTML='';if(network_list.length>0)for(var c=0;c<network_list.length;c++){ssid=network_list[c].ssid;console.log(network_list[c]);add_wifi_option(b,ssid);document.getElementById('connect-div').style.display='block';}else b.innerHTML='<p class=\\'scanning-error\\'>No networks found.</p>';},error:function(a){console.log('Scanning error:'+a);document.getElementById('networks-div').innerHTML='<p class=\\'scanning-error\\'>Scanning error.</p>';},regardless:function(){scanButton.innerHTML='Re-Scan';enableButtons();document.getElementById('networks-div').style.display='block';}};var configure=function(a){a.preventDefault();var b=get_selected_network();var c=document.getElementById('password').value;if(!b){window.alert('Please select a network!');return false;}var d={idx:0,ssid:b.ssid,pwd:rsa.encrypt(c),sec:b.sec,ch:b.ch};connectButton.innerHTML='Sending credentials...';disableButtons();console.log('Sending credentials: '+JSON.stringify(d));postRequest(base_url+'configure-ap',d,configure_callback);};var configure_callback={success:function(a){console.log('Credentials received.');connectButton.innerHTML='Credentials received...';postRequest(base_url+'connect-ap',{idx:0},connect_callback);},error:function(a,b){console.log('Configure error: '+a);window.alert('The configuration command failed, check that you are still well connected to the device\\'s WiFi hotspot and retry.');connectButton.innerHTML='Retry';enableButtons();}};var connect_callback={success:function(a){console.log('Attempting to connect to the cloud.');connectButton.innerHTML='Attempting to connect...';window.alert('Your device should now start flashing green and attempt to connect to the cloud. This usually takes about 20 seconds, after which it will begin slowly blinking cyan. \\n\\n\\nIf this process fails because you entered the wrong password, the device will flash green indefinitely. In this case, hold the setup button for 6 seconds until the device starts blinking blue again. Then reconnect to the WiFi hotspot it generates and reload this page to try again.');},error:function(a,b){console.log('Connect error: '+a);window.alert('The connect command failed, check that you are still well connected to the device\\'s WiFi hotspot and retry.');connectButton.innerHTML='Retry';enableButtons();}};var disableButtons=function(){connectButton.disabled=true;scanButton.disabled=true;};var enableButtons=function(){connectButton.disabled=false;scanButton.disabled=false;};var add_wifi_option=function(a,b){var c=document.createElement('INPUT');c.type='radio';c.value=b;c.id=b;c.name='ssid';c.className='radio';var d=document.createElement('DIV');d.className='radio-div';d.appendChild(c);var e=document.createElement('label');e.htmlFor=b;e.innerHTML=b;d.appendChild(e);a.appendChild(d);};var get_selected_network=function(){for(var a=0;a<network_list.length;a++){ssid=network_list[a].ssid;if(document.getElementById(ssid).checked)return network_list[a];}};var copy=function(){window.prompt('Copy to clipboard: Ctrl + C, Enter',deviceID.value);};var toggleShow=function(){var a=document.getElementById('password');inputType=a.type;if(inputType==='password'){showButton.innerHTML='Hide';a.type='text';}else{showButton.innerHTML='Show';a.type='password';}};var getRequest=function(a,b){var c=new XMLHttpRequest();c.open('GET',a,true);c.timeout=8000;c.send();c.onreadystatechange=function(){if(c.readyState==4)if(b){if(c.status==200){if(b.success)b.success(JSON.parse(c.responseText));}else if(b.error)b.error(c.status,c.responseText);if(b.regardless)b.regardless();}};};var postRequest=function(a,b,c){var d=JSON.stringify(b);var e=new XMLHttpRequest();e.open('POST',a,true);e.timeout=4000;e.setRequestHeader('Content-Type','multipart/form-data');e.send(d);e.onreadystatechange=function(){if(e.readyState==4)if(c){if(e.status==200){if(c.success)c.success(JSON.parse(e.responseText));}else if(c.error)c.error(e.status,e.responseText);if(c.regardless)c.regardless();}};};if(scanButton.addEventListener){copyButton.addEventListener('click',copy);showButton.addEventListener('click',toggleShow);scanButton.addEventListener('click',scan);connectForm.addEventListener('submit',configure);}else if(scanButton.attachEvent){copyButton.attachEvent('onclick',copy);showButton.attachEvent('onclick',toggleShow);scanButton.attachEvent('onclick',scan);connectForm.attachEvent('onsubmit',configure);}getRequest(base_url+'device-id',device_id_callback);getRequest(base_url+'public-key',public_key_callback);";
const char prng4_js[] = "function Arcfour(){this.i=0;this.j=0;this.S=new Array();}function ARC4init(a){var b,c,d;for(b=0;b<256;++b)this.S[b]=b;c=0;for(b=0;b<256;++b){c=(c+this.S[b]+a[b%a.length])&255;d=this.S[b];this.S[b]=this.S[c];this.S[c]=d;}this.i=0;this.j=0;}function ARC4next(){var a;this.i=(this.i+1)&255;this.j=(this.j+this.S[this.i])&255;a=this.S[this.i];this.S[this.i]=this.S[this.j];this.S[this.j]=a;return this.S[(a+this.S[this.i])&255];}Arcfour.prototype.init=ARC4init;Arcfour.prototype.next=ARC4next;function prng_newstate(){return new Arcfour();}var rng_psize=256;";

Page wifiSetupPages[] = {
	 { "/index.html", "text/html", index_html },
	 { "/rsa-utils/rsa.js", "application/javascript", rsa_js },
	 { "/style.css", "text/css", style_css },
	 { "/rsa-utils/rng.js", "application/javascript", rng_js },
	 { "/rsa-utils/jsbn_2.js", "application/javascript", jsbn_2_js },
	 { "/rsa-utils/jsbn_1.js", "application/javascript", jsbn_1_js },
	 { "/script.js", "application/javascript", script_js },
	 { "/rsa-utils/prng4.js", "application/javascript", prng4_js },
	 { "XXX", "XXX", fillmem },
	 { nullptr }
};

void wifiSetupUi(const char* url, ResponseCallback* cb, void* cbArg, Reader* body, Writer* result, void* reserved)
{

Serial.printlnf("handling page %s", url);

if (strcmp(url,"/index")==0) {
		Header h("Location: /index.html\r\n");
		cb(cbArg, 0, 301, "text/plain", &h);
		return;
	}

int8_t idx = 0;
	for (;;idx++) {
		Page& p = wifiSetupPages[idx];
		if (!p.url) {
			idx = -1;
			break;
		}
		else if (strcmp(url, p.url)==0) {
			break;
		}
	}

if (idx==-1) {
		cb(cbArg, 0, 404, nullptr, nullptr);
	}
	else {
		cb(cbArg, 0, 200, wifiSetupPages[idx].mime_type, nullptr);
		result->write(wifiSetupPages[idx].data);
	}

}

STARTUP(softap_set_application_page_handler(wifiSetupUi, nullptr));

void setup() {

//Comment ble.init() = It works reliably
	ble.init();

Particle.connect();

}

void loop() {

}

Hi @panda,

Try enclosing the wifiSetupUi() in SINGLE_THREADED_BLOCK(){}. Kindly refer to the thread APIs: https://docs.particle.io/reference/firmware/photon/#single_threaded_block-

Best regards,
Guohui

Unfortunately, that appears to lock up the device when it sends the first page. I tried to single thread the app and it did not have a notable effect one way or the other.

I just bookmark this topic and will look into this later.

Best regards,
Guohui