Discussion Forums

Soldering directions for IoT pHAT on Pi Zero?

Does anybody have a video (or detailed directions) on what’s involved to get the Redbear IoT pHAT soldered onto a Raspberry Pi Zero? I know there’s a version with a header already soldered on, but I believe you still have to solder the pins on that header onto the Raspberry Pi Zero itself, correct?

…I’ve searched high and low (including the entire discussion at Kickstarter) and can’t find exactly how it’s done and what’s involved (with pictures). I would bet most people doing a DIY project like this know how to solder on a basic level…its just that most of us know how to solder two like 16 gauge wires together…not something this tiny.

I also don’t know if you need like a female header on the Zero itself, or just solder the pins from the Redbear IoT pHAT directly onto the Zero itself. Things like if you need some nuts/bolts with spacers to get the spacing right so the two boards sit on top of eachother level, basic things like that.

there are several approaches. i soldered a regular 2x20 male header on the pi zero. then i used a 2x20 female header with long pins on it and soldered that on the redbear. it ended up looking like this as a rough draft…

for now it hangs on my wall with some of my other stuff…,

1 Like

Thanks for posting those photos - it’s appreciated. So if I get the version with the header already soldered on, I do in fact have to solder it to the Pi Zero.

Do I need to get some spacers/nuts/bolts like you have shown? Where do people get those and what size? Do people generally buy a case so the 2x boards don’t get damaged? Can you use an off the shelf case for the Pi Zero, or I assume it has to be modified since the combo boards are now taller?

first is decide how you want to use the zero/iot phat and then work out best way to get the thing put together, i get a lot of the standoffs from amazon. my first one i was to test and setup and out of the way so to just be able to run network tests.

right now i need to build a similar unit with a camera & battery to test video streaming