STM32-Arduino - Updated to 0.3.2 Firmware - Confirmation check returns 0.3.1

Hi,

I’ve updated my RedBear Duo Firmware (factory state 0.3.1) to the latest release 0.3.2 from:

successfully. I used dfu-util to manage the update process like documented in “The Duo: Firmware Deployment Guide”. But when I check the system firmware version via serial, I still receive the string: “system firmware version: 0.3.1” like before.

I did not update the DCT (Device Configuration Table) nor the bootloader, because DCT hasn’t changed since 2 years and I could not find any instruction about updating the bootloader at https://github.com/redbear/Duo/blob/master/docs/firmware_deployment_guide.md.

I am not familiar with dfu-util at all, and the argument -a (-- alt, specify the Altsetting of the DFU Interface by name or by number) seems to be very important. So far I did not figure out the interface, which I would have to address in order to update the bootloader.
dfu-util -d 2b04:d058 -a X -s 0x8000000 -D duo-bootloader-r6.bin
What is X in this regard? 0, 1, 2, or “u-boot”?
Because of this uncertainty, I did not update the bootloader so far.

Furthermore, I am not convinced that the older bootloader is responsible of giving me a false positive firmware message over serial. And if so, then I would like to know how to update the bootloader to duo-bootloader-r6.bin with dfu-util (see above, the -a argument issue)

I did update the following bins:
duo-factory-reset.bin Release firmware v0.3.2 2 months ago
duo-system-part1-v0.3.2.bin Release firmware v0.3.2 2 months ago
duo-system-part2-v0.3.2.bin Release firmware v0.3.2 2 months ago
duo-user-part.bin Release firmware v0.3.2 2 months ago
duo-wifi-r2.bin Release firmware v0.3.2 2 months ago

P.S. Here the README.md at https://github.com/redbear/STM32-Arduino/tree/master/arduino/firmwares (my source) says: “Current Firmware Version: v0.3.1”. But that file hasn’t updated since one year. I guess the bins are really 3.2, or?

Best,
Jo

Hi @qonos,

It is a known issue when you retrieving the system firmware version after you upgrading it to v0.3.2, it still shows you the v0.3.1. But it is actually running v0.3.2.

Best regards,
Guohui

hi guohui,

thanks for the information! Could you please help me understanding the bootloader upload process with dfu-util?

I am not familiar with dfu-util at all, and the argument -a (-- alt, specify the Altsetting of the DFU Interface by name or by number) seems to be very important. So far I did not figure out the interface, which I would have to address in order to update the bootloader.
dfu-util -d 2b04:d058 -a X -s 0x8000000 -D duo-bootloader-r6.bin
What is X in this regard? 0, 1, 2, or “u-boot”?

thanks,
best regards,

qonos

Hi @qonos,

I think you are looking for this:

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick respond!

Like I mentioned before, this guide does not show how to flash the bootloader. However it explains the 3 different interfaces for the due.

-a : specify the interface of the memory. For Duo it has three interfaces.
0 : access the internal memory space, except the bootloader memory space
1 : access the application DCT (not the entire DCT) memory space
2 : access the external SPI flash memory space

I am confused - should I go with the interface 0 or 1?

best,
qonos

Good question.

If you specify the interface to be 0, then the address parameter in the dfu-util command will be the absolute flash address, while the interface 1, the address will be the offset of the application DCT.

Cheers!